L'Angelus and its quality-oriented proprietor, Hubert de Bouard de la Forest, did not begin to turn things around until the mid-eighties. Good wines in 1985 and 1986 were followed by brilliant efforts in 1988, 1989, 1990, 1993, and 1994. L'Angelus can now be counted on to produce one of the top four or five wines of the St.-Emilion appellation. That being said, readers should remember that in 1982 there was no selection process and a completely different wine-making style and philosophy were in place. The 1982, soft and ripe after bottling, has deteriorated quickly. It reveals considerable amber, orange, and rust colors, is diffuse and flabby, and while it still exhibits some sweet, jammy fruit, the wine exhibits an old, mushroomy, earthy note. It is clearly in decline and should be drunk immediately . Tasted 5 times after bottling with consistent tasting notes.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Angelus is a prominent wine estate from the appellation of Saint Emilion, located on the right bank in the wine growing region of Bordeaux, France. Until the year 1990 it was referred to as Chateau L’Angelus or just L’Angelus.
This superior Bordeaux wine was promoted in the Saint Emilion Classification of 2012, now ranking as a Premier Grand Cru Classe (A), a tribute to its consistent production of top quality wine.
Chateau Angelus also produces a second wine named Carillon d’Angelus. The entire chateau covers an area of 23.4 hectares and its annual production is just over 10,000 cases.
Premier Grand Cru Classe
Saint Emilion/right bank
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.