This saturated, deep ruby/purple-colored wine is a big, rich, smoky St.-Emilion exhibiting this estate's tell-tale characteristics of Provencal olives, black cherry liqueur, prunes, and toasty new oak. It is soft, supple, and ideal for consuming over the next 10-12 years. *** Since 1988 a persuasive argument can be made that no other St.-Emilion has been as consistently brilliant as Angelus. Even in such difficult vintages as 1992 and 1993 Angelus produced wines of significant merit. In 1997, this estate's harvest began on September 12 and finished on October 10. The final blend is 60% Merlot and 40% Cabernet Franc. Not surprisingly, the 1997 is another superlative effort. The opaque purple color is the most saturated of any of the St.-Emilion premier crus. The nose offers up thrilling quantities of pain grille, blackberries, truffles, vanilla, and other jammy fruit aromas. Concentrated, with soft tannin, lavish concentration, and a luxurious, succulent, low acid, unctuously-textured personality, this super-endowed, undeniably captivating Angelus will be hard to resist in its youth. However, it should prove to be long-lived for a 1997. Anticipated maturity: 2000-2015.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Angelus is a prominent wine estate from the appellation of Saint Emilion, located on the right bank in the wine growing region of Bordeaux, France. Until the year 1990 it was referred to as Chateau L’Angelus or just L’Angelus.
This superior Bordeaux wine was promoted in the Saint Emilion Classification of 2012, now ranking as a Premier Grand Cru Classe (A), a tribute to its consistent production of top quality wine.
Chateau Angelus also produces a second wine named Carillon d’Angelus. The entire chateau covers an area of 23.4 hectares and its annual production is just over 10,000 cases.
Premier Grand Cru Classe
Saint Emilion/right bank
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.