A very successful vintage for Ausone, this wine seems to be close to full maturity, but knowing the history of this chateau, it is not unforeseen that it can last another 50 or more years. The wine shows a dark garnet color with considerable amber at the edge. Sweet notes of fruitcake, spice box, underbrush, licorice, and jammy red and black fruits tumble from the glass. The wine is medium-bodied, round, nearly opulent by the standards of this chateau, with a spicy, somewhat pinched finish. Anticipated maturity: Now-2025+. Last tasted, 1/03. *** Tasted 7 Times After Bottling With Consistent Notes * Ausone's 1983 is a powerful, rich, full-bodied wine with a higher alcohol content than normal. Medium ruby, rich, and jammy, with low acidity but great concentration as well as that glorious perfume of minerals and Asian spices, this wine should last 15-20 years, but provide fine drinking early on - a rarity for Ausone. Anticipated maturity: now-2010.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Ausone is a Bordeaux wine estate from the Saint Emilion appellation, situated in the Saint Emilion region in Bordeaux, France. It is one of only four wines, alongside Chateau Angelus, Cheval Blanc and Pavie to be ranked Premier Grand Cru Classe (A) in the Saint-Emilion classification for wine. The winery is located on the Right Bank of France’s Bordeaux wine region. The winery also produces a second wine named Chapelle d’Ausone.
Many claim the high quality wine originating from the Chateau is due to the soil composition in the area, a blend of sand and clay residing on limestone which is unique to the area. Due to the smaller nature of this vineyard (a total of 7 hectares), the entire harvest can be picked over the course of two afternoons.
2,000 - 2,500 cases
Premier Grand Cru Classe (A)
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.