Another major disappointment, this emaciated, thin wine shows high levels of minerals, structure, and muscle, but no charm, fruit, or succulence. It will last for another 50 years, but will it ever provide any enjoyment? Anticipated maturity: Now-2040. Last tasted, 12/99. *** Although an uninspiring effort from Ausone, the 1986 is a deeper, richer, and more interesting wine than the disappointing 1985. The 1986 displays a deep ruby/garnet color with light amber at the edge. The nose reveals a concoction of herbaceous cherry and earth-infused fruit with spice and mineral undertones. Still tannic, with the wine's structure and astringency dominating its meager fruitiness, this Ausone is hollow in the middle, with little depth or richness. Even giving it the benefit of the doubt, I cannot imagine this wine ever being better than just above average in quality - if that. Anticipated maturity: 2000-2020. Last tasted 11/97
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Ausone is a Bordeaux wine estate from the Saint Emilion appellation, situated in the Saint Emilion region in Bordeaux, France. It is one of only four wines, alongside Chateau Angelus, Cheval Blanc and Pavie to be ranked Premier Grand Cru Classe (A) in the Saint-Emilion classification for wine. The winery is located on the Right Bank of France’s Bordeaux wine region. The winery also produces a second wine named Chapelle d’Ausone.
Many claim the high quality wine originating from the Chateau is due to the soil composition in the area, a blend of sand and clay residing on limestone which is unique to the area. Due to the smaller nature of this vineyard (a total of 7 hectares), the entire harvest can be picked over the course of two afternoons.
2,000 - 2,500 cases
Premier Grand Cru Classe (A)
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.