The understated style of the 1993 Ausone offers mineral, lead pencil scents with some redcurrant fruit in the restrained, backward bouquet. Austere and medium-bodied, this tannic, attenuated, lean wine will undoubtedly dry out long before the tannin melts away. It is a lightweight wine that is best drunk over the next 12 years - in spite of its astringency. *** Purchasers of this wine will not be able to enjoy it for at least 15-25 years. It may be more of a gamble than the following tasting note suggests. This medium to dark ruby-colored 1993 possesses Ausone's tell-tale austerity, and an elusive perfume of minerals and spices. The attack offers up ripe fruit that is quickly buried under a cascade of tannin and acidity. Spicy and hard, but intriguing, it is typically Ausone-like - admirable, but painful to taste. If it does not dry out, it could turn out to be an excellent, possibly outstanding Ausone.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Ausone is a Bordeaux wine estate from the Saint Emilion appellation, situated in the Saint Emilion region in Bordeaux, France. It is one of only four wines, alongside Chateau Angelus, Cheval Blanc and Pavie to be ranked Premier Grand Cru Classe (A) in the Saint-Emilion classification for wine. The winery is located on the Right Bank of France’s Bordeaux wine region. The winery also produces a second wine named Chapelle d’Ausone.
Many claim the high quality wine originating from the Chateau is due to the soil composition in the area, a blend of sand and clay residing on limestone which is unique to the area. Due to the smaller nature of this vineyard (a total of 7 hectares), the entire harvest can be picked over the course of two afternoons.
2,000 - 2,500 cases
Premier Grand Cru Classe (A)
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.