While this is a strong effort from a property that too often does not live up to its pedigree, I had hoped the 2005 Beychevelle would merit an even higher score. A deep ruby/purple hue is accompanied by a sweet perfume of roasted herbs, black cherries, and even blacker fruits. The wine is medium to full-bodied with sweet tannin, good acidity, and a fruitcake-like spiciness and earthiness. Pure and long with a tannic clout that is neither intrusive nor excessive, this elegant, powerful effort should be at its finest between 2017-2030.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Beychevelle is a prominent wine estate situated in the Saint Julien appellation in Bordeaux, France. The wine is classified with Fourth Growth status since the official Bordeaux wine classification of 1855. Chateau Beychevelle also produces a second wine labeled Amiral de Beychevelle.
The name Beychevelle originates from the expression “Baisse-Vaille” meaning “lower sails”, a result of the chateau’s ownership by the Duc d’Eperon, admiral of France in the 16th century. Consequently, the label of this luxurious wine boasts an impressive galley ship with a large sail.
Chateau Beychevelle’s vineyards span an impressive 90 hectares of the Left Bank in Bordeaux, with a grape composition of around 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, 6% Cabernet Franc and 4% Petit Verdot. The production process sees this rich and smooth fine wine mature in oak barrels for 18 months, half of which are renewed every year.
40,000 - 50,000 cases
Saint Julien/Left Bank
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.