Calon Segur 1986
Chateau Calon Segur
The 1986 possesses a deep ruby/garnet color, with a tight, yet ripe, black currant bouquet backed up with subtle scents of herb, cedar, and sweet oak. On the palate, the wine is muscular, rich, and medium to full-bodied, with a pronounced smoky, mineral, and currant character. It has fine length, with some rustic tannin still noticeable in the finish. Curiously, in this vintage Calon-Segur used an inordinately high percentage of Cabernet Sauvignon (90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot). Normally the percentage of Merlot is significantly higher. Anticipated maturity: 1999-2015. Last tasted, 4/94.
Chateau Calon Segur
Chateau Calon Segur is a top rated wine production estate located in the Saint Estephe appellation, in Bordeaux, France. According to the official Bordeaux Wine Classification of 1855, Calon Segur holds the status of Third Growth. Among all the wineries in the Medoc region, Chateau Calon Segur is situated at the northernmost border.
Calon Segur was one of the three original vineyards in the Saint Estephe area; later on it was acquired by Nicolas-Alexandre, Marquis de Segur – owner of Chateau Latour and Chateau Lafite. By his own accounts, the Marquis stated that “his heart was with Calon”; as a result the label of this prestigious fine wine displays a heart around the chateau’s name.
Reportedly, the ownership of Calon Segur was sold to a group of French investors, for a fee in the region of €200 million in July 2012. It had previously been managed by the Capbern-Gasqueton family since 1894.
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.