Calon Segur 1988
Chateau Calon Segur
The 1988 Calon-Segur outshines both wines from the more heralded vintages of 1989 and 1990. Deeply colored, superbly balanced, rich and full bodied, it appears to be a worthy candidate for another 15-20 years of longevity. It is a classic example of this chateau's wine - cedary, very fragrant, with plenty of sweet red and black currant fruit. I should also note that it is surprisingly powerful for the vintage. It gets my nod as the finest Calon-Segur between 1982 and 1995. Anticipated maturity: Now-2020. Last tasted, 6/97.
Chateau Calon Segur
Chateau Calon Segur is a top rated wine production estate located in the Saint Estephe appellation, in Bordeaux, France. According to the official Bordeaux Wine Classification of 1855, Calon Segur holds the status of Third Growth. Among all the wineries in the Medoc region, Chateau Calon Segur is situated at the northernmost border.
Calon Segur was one of the three original vineyards in the Saint Estephe area; later on it was acquired by Nicolas-Alexandre, Marquis de Segur – owner of Chateau Latour and Chateau Lafite. By his own accounts, the Marquis stated that “his heart was with Calon”; as a result the label of this prestigious fine wine displays a heart around the chateau’s name.
Reportedly, the ownership of Calon Segur was sold to a group of French investors, for a fee in the region of €200 million in July 2012. It had previously been managed by the Capbern-Gasqueton family since 1894.
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.