Calon Segur 2002
Chateau Calon Segur
Deep ruby/purple-tinged, this vintage, a blend of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon and 35% Merlot, is medium-bodied, elegantly-styled with surprisingly sweet tannin, some notes of herbs, plums, black cherries, and currants, a sweet, ripe attack, and a straightforward finish without the power and depth of the finest vintages. Anticipated maturity: 2008-2017. *** This bastion of traditionally made wines has fashioned a firm, structured, potentially long-lived blend of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon and 35% Merlot. An opaque ruby/purple color is followed by a moderately closed, but promising nose of red and black fruits interwoven with loamy soil and underbrush notes. Nicely textured, medium to full-bodied, high in tannin, but oh, so backward, it is hard to compare it to other vintages, but it may be a modern day rendition of the brilliant 1988 (one of the Medocs of the vintage). Anticipated maturity: 2012-2025
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Calon Segur
Chateau Calon Segur is a top rated wine production estate located in the Saint Estephe appellation, in Bordeaux, France. According to the official Bordeaux Wine Classification of 1855, Calon Segur holds the status of Third Growth. Among all the wineries in the Medoc region, Chateau Calon Segur is situated at the northernmost border.
Calon Segur was one of the three original vineyards in the Saint Estephe area; later on it was acquired by Nicolas-Alexandre, Marquis de Segur – owner of Chateau Latour and Chateau Lafite. By his own accounts, the Marquis stated that “his heart was with Calon”; as a result the label of this prestigious fine wine displays a heart around the chateau’s name.
Reportedly, the ownership of Calon Segur was sold to a group of French investors, for a fee in the region of €200 million in July 2012. It had previously been managed by the Capbern-Gasqueton family since 1894.
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.