Calon Segur 2012
Chateau Calon Segur
The 2012 reveals an opaque ruby/purple color along with sweet tannins, low acidity, medium to full body, and abundant cedary, foresty notes intermixed with black cherries, black currants, caramel and spice box. This medium to full-bodied St.-Estephe should drink well in 4-5 years (atypical for a Calon Segur), and last for two decades. Calon Segur has one of the top dozen terroirs in all of Bordeaux, so I’m waiting to see how spectacular it can become under its new ownership. Certainly the team brought in to push the quality is the right one. I don’t know what the final blend of the relatively soft 2012 was, but I suspect it includes a copious percentage of Merlot, although Cabernet Sauvignon has dominated over recent years.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Calon Segur
Chateau Calon Segur is a top rated wine production estate located in the Saint Estephe appellation, in Bordeaux, France. According to the official Bordeaux Wine Classification of 1855, Calon Segur holds the status of Third Growth. Among all the wineries in the Medoc region, Chateau Calon Segur is situated at the northernmost border.
Calon Segur was one of the three original vineyards in the Saint Estephe area; later on it was acquired by Nicolas-Alexandre, Marquis de Segur – owner of Chateau Latour and Chateau Lafite. By his own accounts, the Marquis stated that “his heart was with Calon”; as a result the label of this prestigious fine wine displays a heart around the chateau’s name.
Reportedly, the ownership of Calon Segur was sold to a group of French investors, for a fee in the region of €200 million in July 2012. It had previously been managed by the Capbern-Gasqueton family since 1894.
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.