From cask, I had thought the 1992 Canon to be one of St.-Emilion's most successful wines. Like many 1992s, the wine's fragile fruit appears to have suffered from the fining and filtering that the Bordelais routinely do at bottling. The results offer a perplexingly ripe but hard, tough, sculptured wine that appears slightly eviscerated. The color is sound, the fruit and attack begin well, but there is not much depth or length - just tannin, alcohol, acidity, and wood. Is this wine closed, or merely empty and hollow? The dark ruby color is followed by a spicy bouquet of new oak, sweet cassis fruit, melon, and earth. The wine exhibits good depth, medium body, a supple texture, and a round, generous finish. Drink it over the next 7-8 years.
Chateau Canon is a highly esteemed wine production estate in the Saint Emilion appellation of Bordeaux, France. Originally referred to as Clos St-Martin, this top Bordeaux fine wine is ranked among the Premier Grand Crus Classe B, as designated by the classification of Saint Emilion wine.
Chateau Canon, located in the south west of Saint Emilion, is a neighbor to other renowned wine estates like Chateau Magdelaine, Chateau La Gaffeliere and Chateau Ausone. The vineyard surface measures around 21.5 hectares, with a grape selection of 60% Merlot and 40% Cabernet Franc.
Since the early 20th century, Chateau Canon has been rated as one of the best Saint Emilion wines; in total, around 7,500 – 9,000 cases are produced each year, of both the first wine Chateau Canon as well as the second wine Clos de Canon.
7,500 - 9,000 cases
Premier Grand Cru Classe (B)
Saint Emilion/Right Bank
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.