Cos d'Estournel 2003
Chateau Cos d'Estournel
The prodigious, fantastic 2003 Cos d’Estournel is a candidate for “wine of the vintage.” A blend of 68% Cabernet Sauvignon (unusually high for this chateau), 30% Merlot, and 2% Cabernet Franc, 17,500 cases were produced from low yields. An inky/blue/purple color is accompanied by a compelling perfume of black fruits, subtle smoke, pain grille, incense, and flowers. With extraordinary richness, full body, and remarkable freshness, elegance, and persistence, this is one of the finest wines ever made by this estate. The good news is that it will be drinkable at a young age yet evolve for three decades or more. Kudos to winemaker Jean-Guillaume Prats and owner Michel Reybier.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Cos d'Estournel
Chateau Cos d’Estournel is a prestigious winery based in the Saint Estephe appellation in Bordeaux, France. As deemed by the Official Bordeaux Classification of 1855, the chateau’s premier red wine (with the same name) holds the rank of Second Growth. The fine wine estate is a neighbor of Chateau Lafite Rothschild in the adjacent commune of Pauillac.
Chateau Cos d’Estournel, along with the first wine, also produces a second wine labeled Les Pagodes de Cos, and a further wine known as Chateau Marbuzet. The name “Cos” signifies a “hill of pebbles” in Gascon dialect. The chateau’s full name was given by Louis-Gaspard d’Estournel in 1810.
The entire estate of Cos d’Estournel covers around 100 hectares, with the vinyards spanning around 70 hectares split into subdivisions. The grape composition of this top chateau contains around 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Merlot, with a petit selection of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. In total, Chateau Cos d’Estournel produces around 32,000 cases of fine wine on a yearly basis.
30,000 - 32,000 cases
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.