1984 is a surprisingly good year made under very trying conditions. D'Yquem began its harvest on October 15th and made its last pass through the vineyards on November 13th. Seventy-five percent of the crop was retained for d'Yquem. The wine at present exhibits a great deal of smoky oak in its bouquet, which is also filled with scents of smoked almonds, cooked pineapples, and honey and caramel. In the mouth, the wine is less flamboyant, with less glycerin and power than usual, but it is still a rich, full-bodied d'Yquem with a great deal of personality and character. It will not have the great aging potential of the top vintages, but I fully expect it to last at least another 20 years. Anticipated maturity: 1995-2008. Last tasted, 3/91.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau d’Yquem is an esteemed wine estate located in Sauternes – the Gironde region in the southern area of Bordeaux, France – also referred to as Graves. The main wine from Chateau d’Yquem is rated Premier Cru Superieur from the official Bordeaux Classification of 1855. Furthermore, it was the only wine from the Sauternes region to receive this status – an indication of its superiority and high value.
Chateau d’Yquem also produces a second wine, a dry white labeled Ygrec. The distinctive characteristics of Chateau d’Yquem are the complexity, sweetness and concentration of the wines. Moreover, it is known for its longetivity; under proper storage and well cared for, bottles can last over a century.
5,000 - 6,000 cases
Premier Cru Superieur
Graves - Left Bank
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.