With greater evidence of botrytis than the colossal 1983, but less power and alcohol, the 1986 d'Yquem tastes reminiscent of the 1975, only more precocious. Several highly respected Bordeaux negociants who are d'Yquem enthusiasts had claimed the 1986 d'Yquem was the greatest wine produced at the property since the legendary 1937. However, after the release of the 1988 they concluded that the 1988 surpassed even the 1986. The 1986's enthralling bouquet of pineapples, sauteed hazelnuts, vanillin, and ripe apricots is breathtaking. Compellingly concentrated, its breadth as well as depth of flavor seemingly know no limits. This full-bodied, powerful, yet impeccably elegant d'Yquem should provide memorable drinking for 40-55 more years. Anticipated maturity: 2000-2040. Last tasted, 7/93.
Chateau d’Yquem is an esteemed wine estate located in Sauternes – the Gironde region in the southern area of Bordeaux, France – also referred to as Graves. The main wine from Chateau d’Yquem is rated Premier Cru Superieur from the official Bordeaux Classification of 1855. Furthermore, it was the only wine from the Sauternes region to receive this status – an indication of its superiority and high value.
Chateau d’Yquem also produces a second wine, a dry white labeled Ygrec. The distinctive characteristics of Chateau d’Yquem are the complexity, sweetness and concentration of the wines. Moreover, it is known for its longetivity; under proper storage and well cared for, bottles can last over a century.
5,000 - 6,000 cases
Premier Cru Superieur
Graves - Left Bank
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.