Served from an ex-chateau bottle. The 2009 Chateau d’Yquem is one showstopper of a wine and perhaps it is only in a vertical that you realize this is up there among the legendary wines of the past – the 2001 included. It has a wonderful nose that expresses the Semillon component majestically: heady aromas of lemon curd, nectarine, jasmine and honeysuckle that all gain momentum in the glass. The oak is supremely well-integrated. The palate is extremely well-balanced with an unctuous entry. You are immediately knocked sideways by the palpable weight and volume in the mouth, which is almost “bulbous,” with layer upon layer of heavily botrytized fruit. It builds to a spicy finish with hints of marzipan and pralines in the background that lend it an untrammeled sense of exoticism. The 2009 is utterly fabulous and decadent, a star that will blaze brightly and undimmed for many years. Drink now-2060+. Tasted March 2014.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau d’Yquem is an esteemed wine estate located in Sauternes – the Gironde region in the southern area of Bordeaux, France – also referred to as Graves. The main wine from Chateau d’Yquem is rated Premier Cru Superieur from the official Bordeaux Classification of 1855. Furthermore, it was the only wine from the Sauternes region to receive this status – an indication of its superiority and high value.
Chateau d’Yquem also produces a second wine, a dry white labeled Ygrec. The distinctive characteristics of Chateau d’Yquem are the complexity, sweetness and concentration of the wines. Moreover, it is known for its longetivity; under proper storage and well cared for, bottles can last over a century.
5,000 - 6,000 cases
Premier Cru Superieur
Graves - Left Bank
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.