L'Eglise Clinet 1993
Chateau L'Eglise Clinet
L'Eglise-Clinet is one of the best-situated vineyards in Pomerol, and proprietor/winemaker, Denis Durantou, is one of the most meticulous producers in Bordeaux. The vineyard is composed of tracts of very old vines (one planted in 1930). The wine, which is made from extremely small yields of two tons per acre, is normally a blend of 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc, all of it aged in 60% new oak casks. This wine may merit a higher rating. I am not a fan of red wines with green overtones, so perhaps the spicy, green peppery bouquet held my score down. Nevertheless, this deep ruby/purple-colored wine possesses an undeniably grilled meat, smoky, peppery, sweet, fruity nose that is evolved and intense. The wine hits the palate with a nice display of sweet, ripe, soft fruit, and low acidity. It is medium-bodied, with the kirsch liqueur, black-raspberry fruitiness that is a hallmark of this estate. The 1993 should be at its peak after 2-3 years of cellaring; it will last for 12-14 years. I would opt for drinking it on the young side, as the fruit may fade before the tannin.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau L'Eglise Clinet
Chateau L’Eglise Clinet is a wine estate producing luxury wines of exceptional quality, based in the Pomerol Appellation in Bordeaux, France. As a fine wine from the Right Bank Chateau L’Eglise Clinet remains officially unclassified, however, the reputation and status of the Chateau is up there with the best wineries in the world.
Chateau L’Eglise Clinet spans roughly 5 hectares in the wine growing region of Pomerol, and is mainly clay and gravel. The grape variety consists of 85% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Franc. Due to the natural slopes in and around the plots there is no excess water, which may play a part in the production of this elite wine. Annually, Chateau L’Eglise Clinet produces between 1,800 and 2,500 cases of wine.
1,800 - 2,500 cases
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.