In a difficult vintage, Chateau Margaux produced a relatively mid-weight, soft, richly fruit wine with some hints of weedy tobacco in the aromas and flavors of this dark plum-colored wine. The wine is medium-bodied, reaching full maturity, and has surprising depth, ripeness, and sweetness for a wine from such a horrific year. Anticipated maturity: Now-2010. Last tasted, 10/02. *** Since 1978 there have been only two first-growths (or two of the so-called "big eight" of Bordeaux) that have been consistently excellent to superb - Chateau Haut-Brion and Chateau Margaux. Margaux's admirable consistency is well-displayed in the 1993-95 wines. An excellent dark ruby/purple color accompanies a soft, smoky, blackcurrant-scented wine. Although round, generous, sexy, and alluring, the 1993 does not possess enough length to justify an outstanding score, but I would not be surprised to see that develop with another 2-3 years of bottle age. It is a beautifully made, elegant, rich style of Margaux that can be drunk now, or cellared for 15+ years.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Margaux is a world famous wine estate located in Bordeaux, France, in the commune of Margaux, off the left bank of the Medoc Region. Chateau Margaux was one of the four wines to receive the “Premier Cru” (First Growth) status in the Bordeaux Classification of 1855.
The Chateau consistently produces some of the most expensive and highly rated wines in the world; its primary line being the Chateau Margaux, the second wine named Pavillon Rouge, and a dry white wine labeled Pavillon Blanc. The estate of Chateau Margaux spans over 260 hectares, and churns out almost 400,000 bottles a year.
10,000 - 15,000 cases
First Growth – Premier Cru
Margaux/Medoc - Left Bank
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.