The sexy, dark plum/purple-colored 1999 Margaux is already revealing complex aromatics. This surprisingly charming and round offering is reminiscent of a vintage such as 1985. Although neither a blockbuster nor a heavyweight, it grows in the mouth revealing tremendous length as well as purity. Administrator Paul Pontallier prefers it to the more austere 1998, as do I. This is an archetypical Chateau Margaux of richness, finesse, balance, and symmetry. It can be drunk young, but promises to age nicely for two decades. Extrapolating backwards, it would probably have something in common with the underrated 1962 Medocs. *** Approximately 38% of the production made it into the 1999 Chateau Margaux. A dense ruby/purple-colored offering, it possesses extraordinary balance as well as a classic, disarming bouquet of blackberries, truffles, licorice, and smoke. A quintessential Margaux, this seductive, sexy yet beautifully balanced effort displays impeccably integrated acidity, tannin, and alcohol. It will be atypically delicious young, yet will age for 2-3 decades. Anticipated maturity: 2004-2025.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Margaux is a world famous wine estate located in Bordeaux, France, in the commune of Margaux, off the left bank of the Medoc Region. Chateau Margaux was one of the four wines to receive the “Premier Cru” (First Growth) status in the Bordeaux Classification of 1855.
The Chateau consistently produces some of the most expensive and highly rated wines in the world; its primary line being the Chateau Margaux, the second wine named Pavillon Rouge, and a dry white wine labeled Pavillon Blanc. The estate of Chateau Margaux spans over 260 hectares, and churns out almost 400,000 bottles a year.
10,000 - 15,000 cases
First Growth – Premier Cru
Margaux/Medoc - Left Bank
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.