The 1996 Montrose reveals outstanding potential. It boasts a saturated dark ruby/purple color, and aromas of new oak, jammy black currants, smoke, minerals, and new saddle leather. This multi-layered wine is rich and medium to full-bodied, with sweet tannin, a nicely-textured, concentrated mid-palate, and an impressively long finish. Anticipated maturity: 2009-2025. *** This classic Montrose's opaque purple/black color is impressive. The wine possesses exceptionally rich, overripe plum and cassis fruit intermingled with smoke, minerals, and spice. Only 59% of the harvest was included in this blend of 72% Cabernet Sauvignon, 24% Merlot, and 4% Cabernet Franc. The wine's unctuous texture makes one think there is more Merlot in the blend, but its success is due to the superripe Cabernet Sauvignon. The 1996 is sweet (from ripeness, not sugar) and medium to full-bodied, with a well-delineated personality. No doubt there is significant tannin lurking in the background, but much of it is concealed by the wine's hefty extract, glycerin, and fruit levels. Anticipated maturity: 2006-2030.
Chateau Montrose is an exceptional wine producing estate in the Saint Estephe appellation in Bordeaux, France. As laid out by the Bordeaux Wine Official Classification of 1855, Chateau Montrose holds the rank of Second Growth – along with 14 other top wines.
Chateau Montrose is in one the most northern communes in Medoc, and covers around 68 hectares. The grape variety consists of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc.
Chateau Montrose produces two red wines; the second wine labeled La Dame de Montrose.
25,000 - 30,000 cases
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.