The 1997 Montrose has turned out better than expected. Although lighter and less concentrated than usual, fragrant aromas of plum liqueur, soil, cedar, and leather are attractive. Round and tasty, with good fruit, low acidity, and fine ripeness, it will drink well for 5-6 years. *** An elegant, soft, fruity wine without much body or length, this 1997 is well-made and clean, with copious amounts of black cherries and currants and subtle oak in the background. Drink it over the next 7-10 years. *** At Montrose, 40% of the harvest made it into the final blend (65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 29% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc, 1% Petit Verdot). Yields were a lowly 42 hectoliters per hectare. This wine may turn out to be outstanding after additional evolution in the barrel. It possesses a deep ruby/purple color, followed by a vibrant nose of sweet cranberry, cherry, and cassis jam, herbaceous notes, and the tell-tale mineral, gravelly scent often present in Montrose. On the attack, the wine, like many top quality 1997s, is sweet, lush, and round, with no aggressiveness. Medium-bodied and nicely concentrated, this vintage does reveal some dry tannin in the moderately long finish, so immediate drinkability may not be possible. However, this will be a Montrose that develops quickly, with the potential to last for 15+ years. Anticipated maturity: 2001-2015.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Montrose is an exceptional wine producing estate in the Saint Estephe appellation in Bordeaux, France. As laid out by the Bordeaux Wine Official Classification of 1855, Chateau Montrose holds the rank of Second Growth – along with 14 other top wines.
Chateau Montrose is in one the most northern communes in Medoc, and covers around 68 hectares. The grape variety consists of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc.
Chateau Montrose produces two red wines; the second wine labeled La Dame de Montrose.
25,000 - 30,000 cases
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.