The black/purple-colored 1999 Montrose offers up notes of pure black fruits intermixed with minerals, smoke, and earth. It is extremely concentrated, surprisingly powerful and dense, with moderate tannin. Its size, strength, and medium to full-bodied personality are atypical for the vintage. Anticipated maturity: 2006-2025. *** I seriously underestimated the quality of this wine last year. My concerns about a lack of a mid-palate have evaporated, as this wine has fleshed out beautifully. We always need to remember that the purpose of barrel aging (the so-called elevage) is to (1) sweeten the tannin, (2) develop more complexity, and (3) concentrate the wines. That is exactly what has happened. * The dense ruby/purple-colored 1999 Montrose exhibits a sweet nose of black fruits, iron, graphite, and smoke. Medium-bodied, with a supple, open-knit personality, low acidity, excellent concentration, and well-integrated tannin, it is a beautifully made, forward style of Montrose that should be ready to drink in 2-3 years, and last for 15-18. If it keeps developing in this manner, it will merit an outstanding score. Anticipated maturity: 2004-2018.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Montrose is an exceptional wine producing estate in the Saint Estephe appellation in Bordeaux, France. As laid out by the Bordeaux Wine Official Classification of 1855, Chateau Montrose holds the rank of Second Growth – along with 14 other top wines.
Chateau Montrose is in one the most northern communes in Medoc, and covers around 68 hectares. The grape variety consists of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc.
Chateau Montrose produces two red wines; the second wine labeled La Dame de Montrose.
25,000 - 30,000 cases
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.