This wine is more tightly knit, more tannic, but every bit the blockbuster concentrated effort that its younger sibling, the 1990, is. It seems to need more coaxing from the glass, but the color is virtually identical, a dense ruby/purple with no lightening at the edge. In the mouth the wine cuts a broad swath, with spectacular intensity, richness, massive concentration, and high levels of tannin, yet the wine is fabulously well-delineated and like its sibling, the 1990, has a finish that goes on for nearly a minute. It does not seem to be quite as evolved as the 1990, and my instincts suggest there is a bit more tannin, but both are as prodigious as Petrus can be. Anticipated maturity: 2010-2040. Last tasted, 8/02.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Petrus is a prestigious Bordeaux wine estate situated towards the East of the Pomerol appellation, bordering the Saint Emilion region of Bordeaux, France. Petrus produces no second wine, and although it has never been classified, is regarded as one of the most highly rated wines in the world. Of the Pomerol appellation, the two frontrunners Petrus and Le Pin are considered amongst the top wines of the world, consistently demanding extremely high prices at auctions and the like.
Petrus produces a very limited supply of red wine comprised mainly of Merlot grapes, and occasionally with slight amounts of Cabernet Franc. The estate is under the ownership of wine merchant JP Moueix, and spans only 11.4 hectares. Consequently, Petrus only produces around 2,500 cases a year, further driving the prices of its elite Bordeaux wine through the roof.
2,500 - 3,000 cases
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.