The 1992 Petrus is clearly one of the two candidates for the "wine of the vintage." The normal production of 4,500 cases was severely reduced to only 2,600 cases, resulting in an atypically concentrated, powerful, rich wine with a dark, saturated ruby/purple color, a tight but promising nose of sweet black-cherry fruit, vanillin, caramel, and herb-tinged mocha notes. Concentrated and powerful, with superb density of fruit and richness, as well as wonderful sweetness to its tannin, this is a brilliant effort for the vintage. The wine requires 3-5 years of cellaring and should keep for 15-20+. *** Interestingly, the Petrus vineyard, along with that of its sibling, Trotanoy, was covered with black plastic in early September, 1992 to trap most of the rain rather than allowing it to saturate the vineyard's soil and dilute the grapes. It was a strategy that obviously paid off.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Petrus is a prestigious Bordeaux wine estate situated towards the East of the Pomerol appellation, bordering the Saint Emilion region of Bordeaux, France. Petrus produces no second wine, and although it has never been classified, is regarded as one of the most highly rated wines in the world. Of the Pomerol appellation, the two frontrunners Petrus and Le Pin are considered amongst the top wines of the world, consistently demanding extremely high prices at auctions and the like.
Petrus produces a very limited supply of red wine comprised mainly of Merlot grapes, and occasionally with slight amounts of Cabernet Franc. The estate is under the ownership of wine merchant JP Moueix, and spans only 11.4 hectares. Consequently, Petrus only produces around 2,500 cases a year, further driving the prices of its elite Bordeaux wine through the roof.
2,500 - 3,000 cases
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.