After several uninspiring efforts between 1978 and 1988, it is irrefutable that Christian Moueix and his flagship estate, Petrus, have rebounded with a vengeance, producing a bevy of extraordinary wines, even in rain-plagued vintages such as 1992 and 1993. A candidate for the most concentrated wine of the vintage, this 1993 exhibits a saturated purple/plum color, and a sweet nose of black fruits, Asian spices, and vanilla. Huge and formidably rich, this powerful, dense, super-pure wine is a tour de force in winemaking. For a vintage not known for wines of this immense richness and length, this brawny, splendidly endowed Petrus possesses low acidity and high tannin, suggesting that 8-10 years of cellaring are required. This should be a 30-year wine, as well as the vintage's longest-lived effort. Very impressive!
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Petrus is a prestigious Bordeaux wine estate situated towards the East of the Pomerol appellation, bordering the Saint Emilion region of Bordeaux, France. Petrus produces no second wine, and although it has never been classified, is regarded as one of the most highly rated wines in the world. Of the Pomerol appellation, the two frontrunners Petrus and Le Pin are considered amongst the top wines of the world, consistently demanding extremely high prices at auctions and the like.
Petrus produces a very limited supply of red wine comprised mainly of Merlot grapes, and occasionally with slight amounts of Cabernet Franc. The estate is under the ownership of wine merchant JP Moueix, and spans only 11.4 hectares. Consequently, Petrus only produces around 2,500 cases a year, further driving the prices of its elite Bordeaux wine through the roof.
2,500 - 3,000 cases
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.