Pichon Lalande 1982
One of the monumental wines of the last century is the 1982 Pichon Lalande. Since bottling, it has flirted with perfection, and was a sprinter out of the gate, which gave rise to questions about how quickly it would begin its decline. However, at age 27, it retains all its glossy, rich, flamboyant cassis fruit, chocolaty, berry jam-like notes, and plenty of earthy, foresty flavors. This is a full-bodied, extravagantly rich Pichon Lalande seemingly devoid of acidity and tannin, but the wine is incredibly well-balanced and pure. It is an amazing effort! Release price: ($110.00/case) *** Tasted at least a half dozen times in 2002, I keep waiting for this wine to fall off. It has been prodigious from its early days, and in bottle continues to be one of the most satisfying wines of this great vintage, both intellectually and hedonistically. The color is still a dense, dark garnet/plum/purple. The nose offers spectacularly sweet creme de cassis intermixed with plums and cherries, vanilla, and smoke. The wine is full-bodied, opulently textured, very plush, with a viscous texture and extravagant quantities of fruit, glycerin, and alcohol. It has always been incredibly low in acidity, very decadent, and about as hedonistic as a Pichon-Lalande, or any Bordeaux, for that matter, can be. It has surprised me with its longevity, and should still continue to show no amber at its rim nor any evidence of breaking up. However, I wouldn’t push my luck, as this wine is already 20 years old. Anticipated maturity: Now-2012. Last tasted, 9/02.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.