Pontet Canet 1993
Chateau Pontet Canet
Readers should take note that the Tesseron family is making major efforts to rebuild the image of Pontet-Canet and establish it as one of the finest wines of the northern Medoc. Quality has soared since the 1994 vintage, but prices have not yet caught up with the "new" Pontet-Canet. However, this is not a forward, luscious, rich, sweet, fruity style of Pauillac (such as the charming Pichon-Lalande and Haut-Batailley), but rather, a dense, masculine, massively-styled wine meant for long-term cellaring. Among the least herbaceous of the 1993 non-first-growth Pauillacs, Pontet-Canet's offering reveals a subtle, tobacco, leafy component in its otherwise attractive, ripe, rich, cassis fruit. The wine is dark ruby/purple-colored, medium to full-bodied, dense, tannic, and potentially a long-lived example from the 1993 vintage. Although closed, it is well-made, pure, muscular, and large-sized for the 1993 vintage. Anticipated maturity: 2001-2017.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Pontet Canet
Chateau Pontet Canet is a wine production estate of outstanding quality, based in the Pauillac appellation in Bordeaux, France. The primary wine is classified as a Fifth Growth by the Bordeaux Wine Official Classification of 1855.
The estate of Chateau Pontet Canet covers 120 hectares towards the north of the Pauillac commune. After the Bordeaux wine fraud scandal in 1973, sale of the chateau was forced to the Cognac merchant Guy Tesseron, who remains in control of operations today.
The grape composition reads 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot and 2% Cabernet Franc. This highly rated chateau has the largest output of all the classified growths in the Medoc; nearly 22,000 cases of its primary wine, and a further 20,000 cases of its secondary wine – Les Hauts de Pontet.
20,000 - 22,000 cases
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.