Pontet Canet 2001
Chateau Pontet Canet
One of the great estates of the Medoc, Pontet-Canet has enjoyed increasing attention as well as a draconian selection process by owner Albert Tesseron ever since his breakthrough vintage of 1994. The 2001 does not possess the power of the 2000 or the huge 2003, but it is still a very fine albeit tannic, lighter wine. A blend of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 29% Merlot, and small percentages of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot, it was produced from modest yields of 37 hectoliters per hectare. Revealing classic cassis aromas, medium to full body, a firm structure with plenty of finesse, a closed personality, and dominant as well as intrusive tannin, it should age well for 12-20 years, but patience will be required. Certainly the concentration appears up to the level of the tannin. Anticipated maturity: 2007-2017.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Pontet Canet
Chateau Pontet Canet is a wine production estate of outstanding quality, based in the Pauillac appellation in Bordeaux, France. The primary wine is classified as a Fifth Growth by the Bordeaux Wine Official Classification of 1855.
The estate of Chateau Pontet Canet covers 120 hectares towards the north of the Pauillac commune. After the Bordeaux wine fraud scandal in 1973, sale of the chateau was forced to the Cognac merchant Guy Tesseron, who remains in control of operations today.
The grape composition reads 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot and 2% Cabernet Franc. This highly rated chateau has the largest output of all the classified growths in the Medoc; nearly 22,000 cases of its primary wine, and a further 20,000 cases of its secondary wine – Les Hauts de Pontet.
20,000 - 22,000 cases
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.