Pontet Canet 2003
Chateau Pontet Canet
One cannot say enough about the labors of proprietor Alfred Tesseron, who has personally overseen the dramatic increase in quality of the wines at Pontet-Canet which started in a significant manner with 1994. This is a classic Pauillac-styled wine (meaning oodles of cassis flavors), as one might expect from a vineyard on the plateau of Pauillac, across the street from Mouton-Rothschild. * One of the great successes of the vintage and certainly one of the most profound Pontet-Canets made over the last decade is the 2003. Deep purple to the rim with a glorious nose of scorched earth, black currant jam, smoke, licorice, and roasted meats, it is full-bodied, incredibly powerful, dense, with low acidity but high tannin, broad-shouldered, and savory. This is a stunning, pure, classic Pontet-Canet that should be at its best between 2010 and 2035.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Pontet Canet
Chateau Pontet Canet is a wine production estate of outstanding quality, based in the Pauillac appellation in Bordeaux, France. The primary wine is classified as a Fifth Growth by the Bordeaux Wine Official Classification of 1855.
The estate of Chateau Pontet Canet covers 120 hectares towards the north of the Pauillac commune. After the Bordeaux wine fraud scandal in 1973, sale of the chateau was forced to the Cognac merchant Guy Tesseron, who remains in control of operations today.
The grape composition reads 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot and 2% Cabernet Franc. This highly rated chateau has the largest output of all the classified growths in the Medoc; nearly 22,000 cases of its primary wine, and a further 20,000 cases of its secondary wine – Les Hauts de Pontet.
20,000 - 22,000 cases
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.