Pontet Canet 2005
Chateau Pontet Canet
The work that Alfred Tesseron and his winemaking team have done at this estate since 1994 is remarkable. At this fabulous terroir just south of Mouton-Rothschild, Tesseron has made major investments, and instituted incredibly severe selections in both the vineyard and winery. The result is a succession of extraordinary wines. It is difficult to know whether the 2005 Pontet-Canet will ultimately eclipse the hedonism and density of the flamboyant 2003, but it is unquestionably a stunning effort. Inky/black-colored with a classic Pauillac perfume of licorice, black currant liqueur, graphite, cedar, and spice box, it is full-bodied, with magnificent concentration, formidable tannins, and an Arnold Schwartzenegger-like structure (when he was 25 years younger). This backward, formidably endowed 2005 will require patience. Anticipated maturity: 2017-2040.
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Pontet Canet
Chateau Pontet Canet is a wine production estate of outstanding quality, based in the Pauillac appellation in Bordeaux, France. The primary wine is classified as a Fifth Growth by the Bordeaux Wine Official Classification of 1855.
The estate of Chateau Pontet Canet covers 120 hectares towards the north of the Pauillac commune. After the Bordeaux wine fraud scandal in 1973, sale of the chateau was forced to the Cognac merchant Guy Tesseron, who remains in control of operations today.
The grape composition reads 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot and 2% Cabernet Franc. This highly rated chateau has the largest output of all the classified growths in the Medoc; nearly 22,000 cases of its primary wine, and a further 20,000 cases of its secondary wine – Les Hauts de Pontet.
20,000 - 22,000 cases
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.