Pontet Canet 2012
Chateau Pontet Canet
A softer, less powerful and less prodigiously endowed Pontet Canet, the 2012 exhibits notes of creme de cassis and new barrique vanillin followed by a medium-bodied, elegant wine with sweeter tannin (and less of it) than is found in the great vintages that immediately precede it. The 2012 is certainly outstanding and, in fact, many readers may prefer it to the blockbuster, out-of-this-world, over-sized 2010, 2009 and 2008. Medium-bodied, pure and expressive, this classic Pauillac should only require 5-6 years of cellaring. It should drink well for two decades thereafter. No one will confuse the 2012 Pontet Canet with the 2008, 2009 or 2010, but proprietor Alfred Tesseron has turned in another high level performance in this more challenging vintage (especially true in the Medoc).
Robert Parker score
* price for one OWC (original wooden case) in perfect condition – 12x75cl per OWC
Last Update October 2015
Chateau Pontet Canet
Chateau Pontet Canet is a wine production estate of outstanding quality, based in the Pauillac appellation in Bordeaux, France. The primary wine is classified as a Fifth Growth by the Bordeaux Wine Official Classification of 1855.
The estate of Chateau Pontet Canet covers 120 hectares towards the north of the Pauillac commune. After the Bordeaux wine fraud scandal in 1973, sale of the chateau was forced to the Cognac merchant Guy Tesseron, who remains in control of operations today.
The grape composition reads 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot and 2% Cabernet Franc. This highly rated chateau has the largest output of all the classified growths in the Medoc; nearly 22,000 cases of its primary wine, and a further 20,000 cases of its secondary wine – Les Hauts de Pontet.
20,000 - 22,000 cases
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.