The 1986 is a complex and elegant wine, with plenty of smoky almonds, peaches, and honeyed apricot fruit in the nose and flavors. In the mouth, the wine has a certain elegance, and perhaps not quite the punch one normally expects from Rieussec. Nevertheless, it is a compelling Sauternes that should age magnificently. Anticipated maturity: 1994-2010. Last tasted, 1/93.
Chateau Rieussec is a top Bordeaux wine producer based in the region of Graves, in Bordeaux, France. Chateau Rieussec falls under the Sauternes appellation in the commune of Fargues, and the sweet white wine (or desert wine) holds the status Premier Cru Classe, or First Growth, as per the Bordeaux Wine Official Classification of 1855.
Chateau Rieussec went through a series of owners since the 18th century, however in 1984 it was purchased by Domaines Barons de Rothschild, also owners of the esteemed Chateau Lafite Rothschild. One of the notable recognitions for Chateau Rieussec was the selection of Rieussec 2001 for Wine of the Year (2004) in Wine Spectator; a great testament to the high quality and reputation of Chateau Rieussec.
The estate of Chateau Rieussec covers over 90 hectares, neighbouring the prominent Chateau D’Yquem towards the West. The grape selection includes 93% Semillon, 7% Sauvignon and 3% Muscadelle. The average output for Chateau Rieussec is 6,000 cases, with another 4,000 cases of its second, third and fourth wines.
Premier Cru Classe - First Growth
DISCLAIMER - Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All prices are only for perfect OWC's (Original Wooden Case) = 12 * 750 ml bottles.
- - All stocks are of verified European provenance.
- - Bordeaux Traders holds no responsibility over accuracy of information.
- - Images may not reflect wines held in stock.
- - Current Price is an indicative figure from market average; actual market value may vary.
- - Due to constant market evolution, buy/sell prices may be subject to change.